Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The perils of work: worm-rbot.cbq attack!

Ah the perils of Internet-enabled work. Around one hundred percent og my work relies on the Internet. More specifically on servers situated elsewhere. A few hours ago I was informed that technical problems were creating havoc on the servers we worked on. I must explain that although I am based in Manila I work in a virtual office, meaning I operate a server(or at least a dummy computer connected to the server)severl thousand miles away. Saves costs for the company and provides me with a monthly income. Now when the computer at the other end of the world shuts down my work shuts down. Something happened today that made a whole bunch of servers and computers shut down. Could it be the new computer worm, worm-rbot.cbq., that is creating havoc with computers at the US Congress, CNN, New York Times, and other media outfit? The worm affects Windows 2000 systems but is said to affect also Microsoft XP. Symptoms include the repeated shutdown and rebooting of a computer. So please be careful. For more details you can check the CNN story. What does this mean for me? No work today. Unfortunately or fortunately, I will be attending a seminar today. As the old man in a zen story told, to me a by priest several years ago, always said when he received news. "Good luck, bad luck who knows." :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

Check CNN and get a worm free ? :-)

8/17/2005 02:30:00 PM  
Blogger juned said...

Ha Ha Ha. I would have used smilies but this seem more fitting.

The IT guys seems to have fixed things.

Tomorrow is another day!

8/17/2005 05:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home